Three institutions of higher education have been named winners of the 2013 Ellucian™ Inspire Awards for achieving measureable improvements through the application of the company’s products and services. The winners for each of the three categories are:
- Khalifa University in the United Arab Emirates, for Operational Excellence (administrative, infrastructure, or business process improvement)
- The College at Brockport, State University of New York, for Constituent Service (innovations and improvements, experience, or engagement)
- Western Iowa Tech Community College for Student Success (recruiting, retention, degree planning, completions, and teaching/learning outcomes)
Each winner received an Ellucian Inspire Award, $3,000, and was recognized in Philadelphia at the opening session of Ellucian Live, the company’s annual user conference.
“The increasing challenges facing higher education require powerful and effective solutions – and smart and innovative institutions to leverage their potential to work smarter and engage their learners more deeply,” said John F. Speer III, president and chief executive officer of Ellucian. “We congratulate the winners of the 2013 Ellucian Inspire Awards. You inspire all of us to continue to meet the challenges of today to shape how the world learns tomorrow.”
The Ellucian Inspire Awards is a customer recognition program designed to showcase and share how customers use Ellucian products and services in innovative ways to accomplish their goals. More than 70 nominations were submitted, with the finalists judged by a panel of executives from peer higher education institutions.
2013 Ellucian Inspire Award Winners
Operational Excellence: Khalifa University in the United Arab Emirates
This small university in the very early stages of its development needed timely access to critical institutional data required to support evidence-based decision making. The institution chose Banner® Performance Reporting and Analytics as the foundation of its state-of-the-art reporting culture. As a result, the institution:
- Captured $10 million of goods and services expenses and applied them to the fiscal 2012 budget.
- Freed an estimated 400 hours per year for IT and functional resources to devote to other value-added services.
- Accessed detailed information on key performance indicators, student data, performance measures, and more for the complex re-licensure process that is required for each individual degree program to undergo accreditation.
Constituent Service:The College at Brockport, State University of New York
The paper-based admissions review process at this large university monopolized staff time with a vicious cycle of filing and tracking application documents shared across multiple departments. All too often, this resulted in lost documents, delayed communications, and duplicate requests. As a result of implementing Banner® Document Management with EMC® AppXtender, the institution:
- Slashed applicant decision processing time for both graduate and undergraduate admissions offices from weeks to days.
- Automated the image index import of application credentials; now 500–600 documents can be downloaded and indexed within 15 minutes.
- Reduced application storage space by 80 percent.
- Renamed the new image function—advisors like it so much they call it “automagic.”
Student Success: Western Iowa Tech Community College
Open enrollment, coupled with stagnant enrollment numbers, created multiple challenges for this community college that was struggling with budget constraints. In an effort to retain the students they were already teaching, the college developed a low-cost retention strategy that leveraged Colleague® Retention Alert. The result was a cultural shift that united students, faculty, and advisors and improved overall student success. As a result, the institution:
- Boosted retention rates by five percent over four years.
- Increased enrollment by 25 percent.
- Strengthened connections with students, and delivered more support services and targeted communications to help students stay on track.
Ellucian helps education institutions thrive in an open and dynamic world. We deliver a broad portfolio of technology solutions, developed in collaboration with a global education community, and provide strategic guidance to help education institutions of all kinds navigate change, achieve greater transparency, and drive efficiencies. More than 2,400 institutions in 40 countries around the world look to Ellucian for the ideas and insights that will move education forward, helping people everywhere discover their futures through learning. Visit Ellucian at www.ellucian.com, follow Ellucian on Twitter (@EllucianInc), and like Ellucian on Facebook (/EllucianInc).
Ellucian® and Banner® are trademarks of Ellucian Company L.P. or its affiliates and are registered in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.