Cultivating the top professionals in higher education
Five essential strategies for talent management.
- Under a unified strategy, staff at every level play a role in talent management
- Clear metrics and transparent processes are critical to successful talent management programs
- Technology enables integrated, automated talent tracking and better decision-making
Since 1991, the number of students in higher education nearly doubled to 20 million. As many faculty members and staff approach retirement age, institutions must recruit and develop new professors, administrators, and staff to maintain an acceptable student-to-faculty ratio.
To help human resources leaders, we’ve culled information from the 2014 Workforce Talent Management in Higher Education survey—an independent study conducted by the Human Capital Media Advisory Group (the research arm of Workforce magazine) in partnership with Ellucian and talent management experts Cornerstone.
Top strategies include:
- Make talent management an institution-wide goal: More than half of survey respondents said talent management falls under human resources. But for 28.4%, the responsibility falls to deans and department heads. It shouldn’t be one or the other. Consider the full employee lifecycle and develop a unified strategy in which staff at all levels play a role in success.
- Identify your priorities before acting: Respondents cited recruiting new employees (75%) and providing learning and development for existing employees as top priorities. And many have applicant tracking and leadership development programs in place as well.
- Improve succession planning efforts: Smart succession planning gives you a competitive advantage, as it takes you beyond simple replacement planning—a gamble of talent and resources—to creating individuals qualified and ready to lead your institution into the future. Identify high performers, offer mentor programs, and constantly map current to future skill needs.
Download this e-book to see the 5 top strategies used by the best HR leaders, and for more insights on the strategies listed above.