Ellucian announces 2019 Pathways Scholarship award recipients
Scholarship awards $100,000 to help students achieve their educational goals
- Ellucian has chosen the recipients of its 2019 Ellucian Pathways Scholarship.
- $100,000 was divided among 20 students to assist them as they pursue their education goals.
- Recipients are juggling the demands of work, illness, families, unemployment, shelter insecurity, and more to pursue their dreams of an education.
Introduced in 2018, the Ellucian Pathways Scholarship supports students at institutions with guided pathway programs who, because of financial challenges, may be at risk of interrupting their studies and even leaving their institutions. In its first year, the Ellucian Pathways Scholarship awarded a total of $50,000 divided among ten institutions, helping more than 20 students continue their education. This year, Ellucian doubled the awarded value of the scholarship, offering $100,000 divided among 20 students to assist them as they pursue their education goals.
Ellucian received inspiring video applications from more than 300 students who are juggling the demands of work, illness, families, unemployment, shelter insecurity, and more to pursue their dreams of an education. The 20 recipients of the 2019 Ellucian Pathways Scholarship hail from:
- Community College of Baltimore County
- Golden West College (3 students)
- Mercer County Community College
- Motlow State Community College
- North Shore Community College
- Passaic County Community College
- Pima County Community College
- San Antonio College Honors Academy
- San Jacinto Community College (2 students)
- Southern New Hampshire University (2 students)
- SUNY Rockland Community College
- Tulsa Community College (2 students)
- University of California Riverside (3 students)
“The Ellucian team stands in awe of the tenacity and drive exhibited by all of the 2019 scholarship applicants,” said Laura Ipsen, President and CEO of Ellucian. “This year’s winners shared the unfiltered stories of their educational journeys, detailing the fight to overcome challenges such as balancing employment and education and the unique burdens of being a parent, an immigrant or a first-generation college student. We salute these incredible individuals and congratulate the 2019 Ellucian Pathways Scholarship recipients. We hope this scholarship will help support them as they continue their education and ultimately meet their goals.”
The guided pathways model is being implemented by educational institutions across the United States. Guided pathways programs help steer higher education students toward their desired outcome on time and with less debt. The programs promote success by focusing on student-centric practices, including clearly defined program pathways, strengthened advising, improved degree tracking, and early alert systems.